Sunday, February 19, 2012

VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Vintage Poster:  Harvest Legume & Grass Seed
Here's another fun poster (aren't they all?).  Found this one at another library archive site.  It was pretty simple:  Remind everyone to be sure and harvest legume and grass seed...for your use and the Nation's need.

So they used this image of a strong man (John, you there?? LOL!) carrying a huge bag of seed after the harvest.  I understand the legumes being food, but I'm not sure about the grass seed and its necessity for the country.


Still, great graphics and a nice visit into our history.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if the grass seed was to avoid the conditions they had experienced with the dust-bowls?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

    Make sure the soil was covered to prevent wind erosion? Or maybe just to make it look nice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poster! Maybe the grass seed reference is connected to the disappearance of native tall grass prairies. Either way, it's great to see a such a manly guy toting a big bag of seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya and Casa - That makes perfect sense! I forgot about the dust bowl and all the native grasses that disappeared as they tried to prevent land erosion.

    John - I figured! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!