Monday, February 6, 2012

ROASTED CHICKPEAS RECIPE

Here are the ingredients pulled out and ready to go:
2 cans of Garbanzo beans
(aka Chickpeas)
 3 Tbsp olive oil
 1 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
 1/2 tsp cayenne (more/less to taste)
 3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper






Put all ingredients except the chickpeas, into a bowl...





...and stir them together until it's just a smooth sauce.  This will be the coating for the chickpeas.



...Empty the can of chickpeas into a colander, drain and rinse under running water.  I missed a picture of this next part, but after they are rinsed, you put them in your bowl of sauce, and stir them around until they are well coated...



...Once coated, as they are here, put them on a parchment lined baking sheet (this keeps cleanup to a minimum) and then pop them into a 425 degree oven and roast...








...and turn and roast some more, and turn again and roast some more.  You'll have to do this several times, maybe once every 10 minutes or so.  You want to get all the moisture out of them.  It took me about 40 minutes to get them to this point. 




...here is the finished result; brown, seasoned, and crunchy.  That's what you want, they need to be baked until they are crunchy and most of the moisture has dried out...you can double or triple this recipe as needed.



...you can tell we didn't like it, right?  They are delicious and good for you too!  Try it, we think you'll like it.


Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. YUMMY! Love chickpeas (that's what we call them regardless of the garbanzo name, ha). This looks great, reminds me kind of like cornnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Yes, the texture is much like corn nuts and the crunch. The taste different of course, but if you like the 'feel' of corn nuts, you'll love these. Thanks for visiting, please come back!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you got the posting to work. Yesterday when I was trying to get to it, nothing. Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, blogger does that sometimes, it drives me crazy, ha. Thanks for the kind words, they are are delicious, we were fighting over who got the last couple. :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't like any kind of beans, but I think I will try this for my daughter. Healthy protein. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY a healthy protein. And no beans? At all? You know what they say, they are a magical fruit. oh wait, maybe that's not how it goes...lol.

      Delete
  4. Made a similar recipe years ago - over cooked them and they were pretty hard - kept them in the truck for emergency food! I have your recipe in the oven right now - smells wonderful - love the cumin. I buy dried chick peas and cook my own - very handy that way. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I had some of these at this great little restaurant in San Francisco. I'm going to try this with hominy for something a little different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great. I tried this once and it didn't turn out--like 2 Tramps I was using dry beans I had soaked/cooked. Garbanzos are notoriously tough to get right when you try to use dry ones. I think I'll give this a new try with some canned. ones. love the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!