Saturday, February 18, 2012

PARTY / PICNIC TREE TABLE IDEA

Photo Courtesy of:  Sunset
Recently, I blogged HERE about our tree and how we hoped to put a table under it to make it into an outdoor dining area.  NO, this isn't what we did, ha, but we did find this picture online.  We love the more informal and casual look of this kind of setup.  We could totally see something like this underneath the tree.  It even has a pea gravel "floor", which several of you suggested.  Add some overhead lanterns and some white Christmas tree type lights wrapped around the branches (as was also suggested by several of you) and we would be good to go.  I'd even like to add some billowy fabric for a canopy to make it desert chic (another awesome suggestion!)  Now, I just have to keep my eye out for a table that is similar to the one in this picture.  So what do you think?  Is this a good inspiration for our picnic tree area?  We want something not quite so formal, something that fits a more rustic farmhouse.


That's something I'm always trying to look for online, something that the moment I see it, I go "THAT'S exactly the look we want".  Then I have a record of it here and I can look back and, hopefully, recreate it.  Now I just need to do a little retail therapy and find a table and some bench seating (love that part) like this...and some plants...and some lanterns/lights...and a whole truckload of pea gravel...and then all we'll need to supply is the manual labor, ha.

12 comments:

  1. If you'd like to come up here and remodel my 1970s bathrooms, I would give you the four big hanging globe lights that are in them now, LOL! They would be perfect for your tree. Much better there than where they are now :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, we're doing good to finish one bathroom remodel, lol. But you know, that's a great idea about the old hanging globe lights, I'll keep my eye out for those!

      Delete
  2. What did I tell you? Gravel, rustic, lanterns. One word of advice - don't use pea gravel, use 1/4" crushed rock instead. We did a gravel patio under a tree and used pea gravel and you kind of sink into it and difficult to move furniture on it. We then used crushed rock for the pathways in our garden and I like it much more. The 1/4" doesn't hurt your feet and super easy to rake and move tables over. Just my two cents. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Good call! Thanks for the info about the pea gravel vs 1/4" crushed. When we get to that point, I'll definitely check that out. I never thought about sinking into it. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. 1st Man - It looks wonderful :)

    Suggestion - even though grass is not growing under the trees, I would suggest that you put down some landscape fabric before you put the pea gravel down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was wondering if that would be necessary, the landscape fabric, but you're right, I think better 'safe than sorry' as they say huh? Plus we could use the landscape fabric to kind of section off/plan the area that will be covered in gravel/rocks. Great idea!

      Delete
  4. This place is going to be gorgeous! :) Lucky you guys will have a longer season to take advantage of it for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I sure hope so. Fingers crossed. Just need to start implementing it. Yes, we have a much longer season, though right now we are in a very rainy season, which is putting a crimp in my weekend yard work plans. Thanks for visiting and commenting we appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderfully inviting to me! I like those benches. Do you ever go to Pinterest and look at the outdoor living ideas? If you are not familiar with it, it is a site where you create boards of pics you like such as the one of the table...sort of an online scrapbook of ideas you like and you can see other people's boards and repin their ideas. on my blog www.incarolsworld.blogspot.com there is a red pinterest button on the right that will lead you to my boards (I've never tried that button but supposedly...) Warning, Pinterest is very addictive if you like decorating ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are hoping! Yes, funny that you mentioned Pinterest, I've just started exploring it and you are right, I can see how addicting it will be. More on that in an upcoming post, ha.

      Delete
  6. Well, I really envy your mission - to set up a very lovely and calming tablescape under the tree. We have a rice farm near a river and we never had the idea of enjoying a simple picnic over there. I know my kids will surely like this idea if we had this stuff. Thanks for inspiring me!

    Satin Chair Covers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks for that. I hope you create something wonderful! We'll be starting on our picnic/party tree area soon, and I'll be sure and post photos every step of the way! Please come back and visit!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!